The specific technical objectives, main innovations and targeted key results of dieper are:
1. To develop and demonstrate advanced engine concepts with very high fuel efficiencies (+10% in low load area with respect to state of the art engines) and reduced sub 23 nm particulates emission over the entire engine map upto TRL 5;
2. To develop a new compact combustion concept with optimal heat usage for mid/top segment passenger cars upto TRL 7 that contributes to > 5% more fuel-efficient over the entire engine map.
3. To develop and demonstrate advanced exhaust gas treatment concepts and low emission technologies upto TRL 7.
4. To integrate the results from objectives 2 and 3 (compact combustion concept with advanced EATS,) into a passenger car (120kW Renault Espace), to calibrate this vehicle for on-road operation and to demonstrate the emissions and fuel consumption on chassis dynamometer (NEDC, WLTP) and under real world driving conditions (with PEMS), TRL 7. Operation strategies at high altitude, low temperature ambient conditions (which are not calibrated /tested with the demonstrator vehicle) will be extrapolated with emission models, which are integrated into an existing engine model platform for fast transient simulation.
5. To develop a highly efficient and optimized engine concept for LCVs that is > 5% more fuel-efficient over WLTP with technologies demonstrated primarily to TRL 7.
6. To integrate the results from objective 3 and 5 (high efficient thermodynamic engine concept, advanced EATS, optimized engine concept) into an engine testbed and a demonstration vehicle (2.0l Renault Espace and 3,0l Iveco Daily) and to validate the fuel efficiency and emissions by independent testing.
7. To assess the impact of fuel injection and exhaust aftertreatment systems deterioration on CO2 and pollutant emissions over the vehicle life.